Clearly, one of the best things about late summer is the abundance of tasty tomatoes. Whether they’re home-grown or from your favorite farm stand they will stand out in this yummy summer salad.
To add even more flavor and color to this recipe, include some chopped red onions, or turn it into a one-bowl summer meal with a generous helping of orzo pasta.
Makes 4-6 servings.
- 4 cups fresh spinach, washed and dried
- 4 slices center cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- ½ of an avocado, diced
- 2 ounces gorgonzola or blue cheese, crumbled
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- ½ of an avocado
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic scape or garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 – 2 tablespoons water
- In a large salad bowl, toss together spinach, bacon, tomatoes, ½ of an avocado (diced) and blue cheese.
- In a blender, blend together buttermilk, yogurt, ½ avocado, chives, garlic, lemon juice, pepper and salt. Add in 1 to 2 tablespoons to thin out the dressing (based on how thick you like it) and blend together.
- Serve salad with dressing on the side.