Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Butter 9” spring pan
7 oz. Bittersweet chocolate, melted & cooled to room temp
1 oz Unsweetened chocolate, melted & cooled to room temp
9 T Unsalted butter, melted & cooled to room temp
¾ C Sugar
1 T Alkalized cocoa powder (Droste or Giardelli)
5 Eggs separated
2 t Vanilla
1/3 C Ground almonds
1/8 t Salt
- In one bowl mix melted chocolates and butter thoroughly.
- In a second bowl whisk sugar and cocoa powder. Add egg yolks for 3 minutes or until thickened. Blend in melted chocolate mix, add vanilla and ground almonds. Mix until thoroughly incorporated.
- With an electric mixer beat egg whites until they just begin to swell, add salt and continue till beat till firm but not stiff peaks.
- With a large spoon gently fold in whites into the chocolate mixture – do not deflate the egg whites. Fold until the large streaks of egg whites are incorporated.
- Spoon mixture into prepared spring pan and smooth top.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until just set. Set on a rack to cool. Cake will fall slightly when cooled.
Serve with whip cream and enjoy!